For the lemon-sumac vinaigrette: (makes 1 cup)
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- Juice of one orange
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Sumac
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For the brown rice and chickpeas:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 12 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ avocado, with seed and skin removed
- 1 red beet, spiralized
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted and tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp fried Chinese shallots
For the salad:
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- ½ head fennel, shaved
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp lemon-sumac vinaigrette
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
Preparing the Alaska pink salmon:
- Open the can of salmon and drain the liquid. Sort through the meat and remove all bones and excess fat. Place in a small metal bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the vinaigrette. Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a metal bowl. Using a whisk, combine the ingredients and taste for seasoning. Pour half of the vinaigrette onto the salmon and using a spoon, fold the vinaigrette over the salmon. Keep in mind to preserve the chunks as whole as possible while thoroughly coating the salmon. Set aside.
Preparing the brown rice and chickpeas:
- Place a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and add the butter. Let the butter melt. Stir to toast and lightly brown the butter, about 7 minutes. Add the diced onion, garlic and celery. Using a spoon, stir to incorporate the vegetables into the butter. Add salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until vegetables are translucent, about 10 minutes. Once vegetables are cooked and translucent, add the frozen peas. Stir to incorporate. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and set aside.
Preparing the salad:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the arugula, fennel, parsley, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Add the 4 tablespoons of the lemon-sumac vinaigrette to the bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
Assembling the dish:
- In 4 large soup or pasta bowls. Spoon the rice and chickpea mix to the side of the bowl. Keep in mind to evenly distribute the mix so everyone gets the same amount.
- Add the marinated salmon next to the rice and peas. Garnish with almonds and fried onions.
- Place the salad off to the side and add the avocado and top with the spiralized beets. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette evenly over the bowls.