In this dish, the almond nut flavor brings enticing richness to the potato-based pasta, and the Parmesan Almond Cream demonstrates the decadence and texture almonds can bring as they are blanched, toasted and rough-chopped to near Reggiano form.
- 560 g russet potatoes (baked peeled, and put through a slicer)
- 280 g finely ground toasted almonds
- 3 eggs
- 200 g flour
- 30 g salt
- 10 chicken thighs
- 3 sprigs sage
- 2 sprigs marjoram
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bulb garlic
- 240 ml white wine
- 2 Liters chicken stock
- 240 g broccoli rabe trimmed of stem and rough chopped and blanched
- 480 g almond gnocchi
- 240 mL almond milk
- 120 g almonds (peeled toasted, and rough chopped)
- 120 g Reggiano Parmesan
- Almond Gnocchi
- Combine all ingredients and knead lightly into dough, let rest for 10 minutes. Break off into ropes and slice into ½ inch pieces on a slight bias. Roll on a gnocchi paddle and blanch in salted water until they float, remove from water with a skimmer and cool in a stainless steel pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Chicken Thighs
- Trim chicken thighs of excess fat. Season and brown in a large sauce pot. Deglaze with white wine. Add chicken stock to cover along with garlic and herbs. When thighs are done, cool them in braising liquid.
- When cooled, remove chicken and pull it apart, reheat liquid and strain it.
- For service; in a small sauté pan, heat braising liquid and add chicken, broccoli rabe, chopped almonds and 2 Tbsp. of almond milk. Adjust seasoning and add fresh herbs (chopped parsley and the same herbs from the braise), add hot gnocchi and let it cook in the simmering mixture for 1 minute.
- Place in bowl and offer shaved Reggiano Parmesan cheese, tableside.
Recipe by Four Seasons, Chicago, Executive Chef Kevin Hickey, Courtesy of the California Almond Board