Florals are blooming
From seed to sip, a new trio of florals promise to delight.
By Flavor & The Menu
May 5, 2021
In cafes, bars and kitchens all over the world, Monin’s gourmet syrups have found a welcome home, prized for their authentic flavors and ease at which they can instantly transform a beverage or dish via trend-forward tastes.
The company’s new trio of floral syrup blends — Strawberry Rose, Lavender Lemon and Honey Jasmine — are an aromatic continuation of the company’s desire to provide operators with easy-to-use flavor-enhancing options while tapping into emerging trends.
Part of the company’s Clean Label promise to make products made with only the highest-quality natural ingredients that are free from any artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and sweeteners, these new offerings have been crafted to pair with hot and cold beverages of all types. Each flavor is well-balanced, versatile and delicious in coffees, teas, cocktails, lemonades, sparkling waters, mocktails and more. Culinary applications, such as dressing, frostings and toppings, can also benefit from a flavor boost from any one of these floral syrups.
“When coming up with these flavors, the main criteria is that we wanted to blend trending florals with well-known flavors while keeping the flavor versatile enough to use in all applications,” says Stasha Johnston, Monin’s senior VP of marketing. “These blends deliver innovative, on-trend flavors while helping to simplify execution. In three to four pumps, operators can create a high-quality beverage in less time than it takes their customers to order it.”
For months, Monin had been watching floral flavors trending in beverages and culinary applications due to their uniqueness, freshness and functional benefits the botanicals can provide, which can range from boosting energy to assisting with relaxation, as well as enhancing memory and immune system support. In their natural forms, lavender, rose and jasmine are known for their calming characteristics.
As a company that prides itself on flavor innovation, Monin began the research to determine exactly which florals to use, choosing ones that would help encourage those who might be hesitant to try a floral flavor because of the unknown or the fragrant aroma. “By pairing these florals with popular, mainstream flavors, like lemon, strawberry and honey, it’s the perfect way to make them more approachable and appealing,” says Johnston. “Our research found that more than 50 percent of consumers surveyed would try a fruit-and-floral flavored beverage.”
Research has also shown a 6.7 percent growth of lavender in non-alcoholic beverages as well as 2 percent growth in non-alcoholic beverages with rose over the last year (Technomic 2020).
“The best part about using these floral blends is that they are incredibly versatile and can go in any culinary or beverage application,” says Brian Loukmas, Monin’s VP of beverage and culinary innovation. “They are also the perfect flavors for spring and summer alcoholic beverages, such as a Margarita or a Spritz.”
Monin’s new line of floral blends eliminate the challenge of time-consuming prep, limited flavor availability and expired product, delivering a seamless way for operators to develop an infinite number of flavorful, trend-forward applications that make a menu item stand out.
“My favorite floral cocktail is the Honey Jasmine Gold Rush as the jasmine shines in this cocktail, yet it is not overpowering. Also, Lavender Lemon is a must-try in a latte as the lemon adds a delightful brightness that you don’t usually find in a latte.”
—Brian Loukmas, VP of Beverage and Culinary Innovation
MENU IDEAS WITH FLORALS:
STRAWBERRY ROSE SYRUP joins together notes of candied strawberry and soft rose and has a beautiful scarlet hue.
- Strawberry White Rose Shake: Monin White Chocolate Sauce + Monin Strawberry Rose Syrup + vanilla ice cream + milk
- Strawberry Rose Spritz: Aperol + Monin Strawberry Rose Syrup + fresh lemon juice + Prosecco
- Strawberry Rose Honey Butter: ½ lb. Butter + ¼ c. Monin Strawberry Rose Syrup + 2 Tbsp. honey. Stir ingredients together; refrigerate until use.
- Strawberry Rose White Balsamic Vinaigrette: ½ c. white balsamic vinegar + ¼ c. Monin Strawberry Rose Syrup + 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice + 1 tsp. Dijon mustard + 1 tsp. kosher salt + 1 c. canola oil. Add all ingredients except for the oil in a blender, and blend together. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil until fully emulsified. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until use.
LAVENDER LEMON SYRUP offers a vibrant purple color and a profile of fresh-picked lavender and hints of bright citrus.
- Lavender Lemon Iced Latte: Monin Lavender Lemon Syrup + espresso + cold milk
- Lavender Lemon Margarita: Silver tequila + Monin Lavender Lemon Syrup + Margarita mix
- Lavender Lemon Aïoli: 1 c. mayonnaise + 2 Tbsp. Monin Lavender Lemon Syrup + 1 tsp. minced garlic + salt and pepper. Whisk all ingredients until well combined; refrigerate until use.
- Lavender Lemon Icing: ⅓ c. butter + 2 c. powdered sugar + 2 Tbsp. heavy cream + 2 Tbsp. Monin Lavender Lemon Syrup. Over medium heat, whisk together butter, sugar, and cream until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in syrup.
HONEY JASMINE SYRUP combines delicate jasmine and organic wildflower honey in a rich amber hue.
- Honey Jasmine Sparkling Water: Monin Honey Jasmine Syrup + club soda
- Honey Jasmine Gold Rush: Bourbon + Monin Honey Jasmine Syrup + fresh lemon juice
- Honey Jasmine Soy Glaze: ½ c. Monin Honey Jasmine Syrup + ¼ c. soy sauce + ¼ c. hoisin sauce + 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar + 1 Tbsp. minced garlic + 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat and simmer to a glaze consistency.
- Honey Jasmine Whipped Cream: 2 c. heavy cream + ¼ c. powdered sugar + ¼ c. Monin Honey Jasmine Syrup. Whisk cream and sugar to medium peaks; whisk in syrup until incorporated.
Visit monin.com for product information and hundreds of signature recipes.