Portuguese Chorizo, Kale, and Bean Soup
Recipe courtesy of Chef Matt Harding, Piada Italian Street Food
Sponsor: Bush’s Best
Rice & Beans:
- 4 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces yellow onion, cut in small dice
- 8 ounces carrot, cut in small dice
- 8 ounces celery, cut in small dice
- 4 ounces green bell pepper, cut in small dice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 pound smoked chicken chorizo, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 18 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 pound Bush’s chickpeas, drained
- 8 ounces Bush’s hominy, drained
- 1 pound Bush’s cannellini beans, drained
- 1 pound Bush’s black beans, drained
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 20 ounces stemmed, washed, kale, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound Japanese yams, cut into ¾ -nch cubes
- Toasted croutons, for garnish
- Grated pecorino cheese, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- Sweat the onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers in the olive oil over medium heat until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and toast until light brown. Add in the chile flakes and paprika, let them perfume 30 seconds, then add the bay leaves, oregano, chorizo, and tomatoes.
- Add in all the beans and stock and bring to a simmer; cook 10 minutes.
- Add in the kale and yams, cook 30 minutes more over low heat, then check for seasonings. Either refrigerate or serve.
- When serving, garnish with crusty toasted croutons, grated pecorino, and extra virgin finishing oil.