Isn’t it always barbecue season? It’s certainly a fan favorite, and this time of year cries out for a taste of barbecue. Although center of the plate gets a lot of attention, sides are just as important.
Today, chefs are upping their sides game, leaning into the plant-based phenomenon and offering their guests big flavor with modern takes of traditional sides like barbecue beans. Here are few of our favorite sightings on menus today.
- q Brisket Meatballs: Panko, Parmesan cheese, corn grits
- Cornbread Madeleines, baked fresh to order and served with syrup
Blue Smoke, New York
- BBQ Beans with shredded pork
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, based in Syracuse, N.Y.
- Burnt End Baked Beans
Fette Sau, New York
Recipe: Moonshine-Laced Baked Beans with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 #10 can of Bush’s Best® Bean Pot Vegetarian Baked Beans
- ½ cup Molasses
- ¾ cup Moonshine
- 1 Onion, medium, white, half-moon sliced, then caramelized
- 4 Sweet Potatoes, medium, boiled then smashed
Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot, heat to 165 degrees F, serve hot.
Yields 32 ½-cup servings.