Indian Spiced Baked Beans Dal
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeffrey Quasha
Sponsor: Bush’s Baked Beans
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups diced Vidalia onions
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 2 Tbsp sambal
- 8 ea limes, juiced
- 4 cups fresh diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 8 cups Bush’s Baked Beans
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 3 cups raw baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To taste kosher salt
- To taste fresh cracked pepper
- 3 cups plain Greek yogurt
- As needed chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Next, add the mustard, coriander, and cumin seeds. Toast the spices for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes, making sure to keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the onions, curry powder, and sambal to spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the lime juice and then add the diced tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Simmer the liquid for 5 minutes before adding the Bush’s baked beans and cannellini beans.
- Fold in the spinach and cilantro. Simmer for 2 minutes before adjusting the flavor with salt and pepper.
- Serve a family-style side of 8 oz of this dish; top it with 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.