- 4 oz. diced pancetta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb finely diced white onion 4 cups
- 2 lbs diced sweet potatoes 8 cups
- 2 tbsp water
- 2-1/2 lbs fresh mango diced (6 cups)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Optional: 8 poached or fried eggs seasoned with salt and black pepper, per serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, render the fat out of the pancetta, then remove crisped pancetta with a slotted spoon and set aside until needed.
- Over medium low heat, heat pancetta fat that remains in the pan with olive oil.
- Add onions once oil has heated. Cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes over high heat, stirring often.
- Add water, cover the pan, turn heat down to medium and cook for 5-8 minutes, until potatoes have softened considerably and water has evaporated.
- Stir in the mango, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until mango is warmed through.
- Add pancetta and toss until combined.
Courtesy of the National Mango Board