By Rob Corliss
February 9, 2023
The combination of flavors from various trending Asian cuisines with approachable Mexican formats offers a rich playground for breakfast innovation. Indeed, Kogi Taco opened the floodgates years ago to the idea of Latin-Asian mash-ups. Today, the trend expands to all regions in Asia, and has moved seamlessly into breakfast. Operators can find menu success by focusing on flavor complexity and inspirational ingredient combinations. We’ve worked up three plated and three on-the-go breakfast formats, demonstrating the opportunities in these two powerhouse flavor regions and how they work together to create signature breakfast menu items.
- Tocino Huevos Rancheros: Blue corn tostada + smashed ube + over-easy egg + tocino gravy + pico de gallo
- Thai Huevos Rancheros: Griddled flour tortilla + refried Sriracha black beans + fried egg + Thai chile-green chile sauce + queso fresco crumbles
- Hot Honey Roja Chilaquiles: Fried honey butter chips + Korean salsa roja + scrambled eggs + pork belly
- Chinese Elote Chilaquiles: Fried tortilla chips and wonton chips + light hoisin-mole + fried egg + wok-charred sesame street corn
- Hanoi Chicken Enchiladas: White corn tortillas filled with smoked and shredded chicken (lime, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar) + queso blanco + sambal oelek + roasted crushed peanuts
- Mapo-Chiladas: Flour tortillas filled with ground pork, scrambled eggs and silken tofu + spicy bean red sauce + crema drizzle
- Adobo Breakfast Burrito: Yellow rice + marinated and stewed tangy boneless chicken thigh chunks + blistered bell peppers + hard-boiled egg wedges + flour tortilla
- Togarashi and Tots Burrito: Crispy tater tots + scrambled eggs + seared chorizo crumbles + queso blanco + togarashi-coated flour tortilla
- Filipino Sausage-Potato-Egg Taco: White corn tortillas + shredded hashbrowns + over-easy egg + pan-fried pork longaniza link
- K-Dog Taco: Flour tortilla + batter fried Korean panko corndog (split beef hot dog) + maple sugar dusting + gochujang aïoli
- Pho-nominal Quesadilla: Flour tortilla + small-chopped carne asada + small-chopped cooked rice noodles + bean sprouts + jalapeño + Jack cheese + pho beef broth (dipper)
- Beefy Red Curry Quesadilla: Pandan flour tortilla + Thai red curry beef guisada + Jack cheese + coconut crema (dipper)
From the 2023 Top 10 Trends issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.