By Rob Corliss
October 25, 2022
Operators are leveraging the bocadillo, the classic Spanish sandwich finding its way to restaurants across the U.S., and making it work as a bar snack or shareable. The operational execution is as simple as preparing a full-length sandwich, then slicing it into smaller portions.
Here we look at how chefs can capitalize on three top trends, incorporating charcuterie, Latin/tropical comfort, and veg-centric ingredients, into the smaller format bocadillo build. All feature a traditional baguette and minimal, high-quality flavor components.
1 CHARCUTERIE BITES
Charcuterie, especially when cross-utilizing existing menu ingredients, is ideal for small-bite bocadillos where make-ahead preparations can benefit back-of-house operations.
- Three-Peat: Mortadella-Genoa salami-prosciutto + provolone + baguette (dotted with balsamic syrup)
- Rillettes Roulette: Pork rillettes + charred shishito peppers + pickled red onions + baguette (spread with pepper jelly)
- Capi Cool: Spicy capicola + marinated artichoke hearts + shaved manchego + baguette (rubbed with garlic)
2 LATIN/TROPICAL COMFORT BITES
Spark interest with more adventurous sandwich eaters via the craveable duo of tender meat chunks paired with an intriguing lip-smacking sauce, touting bold Latin flavors and the joyous brightness of the tropics.
- Chimi Barbacoa: Chopped barbacoa + cream cheese chimichurri + baguette
- Milky Mojo Carnitas: Mojo carnitas + whipped ricotta-chamoy spread + baguette
- Hot Berry Chicken: Pulled guajillo-garlic roasted chicken + strawberry-habanero queso blanco + baguette
3 VEG-CENTRIC BITES
Leverage the fervor surrounding plant-based offerings with full-flavored vegetable-centric sandwich plays, which highlight exciting trend-forward flavor combinations.
- Miso Eggplant Bocadillo: Roasted Japanese eggplant + yuzu-pickled watermelon radish + miso hummus + baguette
- Mediterranean Crisper Bocadillo: Tempura broccolini + buffalo mozzarella + romesco + baguette
- G. Shroom Q Bocadillo: Cornmeal-fried oyster mushrooms + creamy yellow mustard white cabbage slaw + smoky barbecue sauce + baguette
Smoked Brisket and Charred Radicchio Baguette
GET THE RECIPE FOR Smoked Brisket and Charred Radicchio Baguette
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.