By Rob Corliss
October 25, 2022
A bocadillo built with distinctive comforting flavors is a gratifying experience on colder days. It is an ideal vehicle for carrying hearty staples in a modern build out. A hot bocadillo can easily highlight seasonal favorites guests crave when a cold sandwich just won’t do.
Here are seasonal flavors encased in the warmth of a toasted Spanish bocadillo—translated for American menus. All showcase the simplicity of mouthwatering hot meats paired with enriching flavors, filling up the traditional crispy baguette with comfort-centric, trend-forward ingredients.
- Hot Roast Beef n’ Gravy Melt: Warmed thinly sliced roast beef + buffalo mozzarella slices + baguette (smeared with onion gravy)
- Meatloaf Madness: Meatloaf slices + cornichons + baguette (smeared with sun-dried tomato aïoli)
- Slow Cooker Gruyère Beef: Slow-cooked braised beef and vegetable stew chunks + Gruyère + baguette (smeared with rosemary aïoli)
- Roast Pork and Pear: Roast pork loin slices + gingered pear chutney + baguette (rubbed with walnut oil)
- Pumpkin Pork Belly: Five spice-rubbed pork belly slices + braised red cabbage + baguette (smeared with pumpkin butter)
- Maple-Cranberry Carnitas: Maple glazed carnitas + shaved ricotta salata + baguette (smeared with cranberry relish)
- Fried Chicken Zinger: Fried chicken breast cutlet + freshly shaved green-red apples + baguette (smeared with toum)
- Roast Chicken Citrus Creamer: Roasted boneless chicken thighs tossed with sage gremolata + Brie + baguette (smeared with orange marmalade)
- Brown Sugar-Roasted Butternut & Hot Chicken: Nashville hot popcorn chicken + brown sugar-roasted butternut squash chunks + baguette (smeared with whipped pecan brown butter)
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.