By Rob Corliss
June 26, 2022
Banana plays into the decadence of popular dessert-style pancakes, and their year-round availability make it a reliable go-to ingredient. Nuances within banana varieties provide menu developers with a bevy of pancake enhancing options, leveraging playful characteristics of shapes, textures and flavors to create differentiating looks and subtle flavor changes.
- The mainstream Cavendish Banana, with its long cylindrical curved shape, creamy texture and classic banana flavor, works well griddled in the batter, as a fresh-sliced topping, or turned into sauce, pudding or custard.
- The similar yet shorter, thicker and blockier Saba Banana, with its starchy texture and sweet potato-like taste and rich flavor, works well roasted or caramelized.
- The short, cigar-shaped Lady Finger Banana, with its creamy texture and sweeter taste, adds visual impact when sliced lengthwise and glazed.
- The Red Banana, with its smaller plump size, intriguing cream color with pinkish tinge, sweetness and slight berry taste, works nicely as a fresh-sliced or caramelized topping.
Each variety crafts a delightful pancake flavor story.
Here are six fun ways to flavor and enhance pancakes with fresh banana.
- Southern Puddin’ Stacker: Buttermilk pancakes (studded with crushed Nilla Wafers and smashed Cavendish banana) + banana pudding/custard (filling between two pancakes) + whipped cream
- Amore Pancakes: Banana “milk” ricotta pancakes + powdered sugar + hot honey-glazed lady finger bananas (split lengthwise) + whipped butter
- Sweety Pancakes: Spiced sweet potato pancakes + cinnamon brown sugar-roasted saba banana slices + maple syrup
- Cereal Pancakes: Whole-grain pancakes (with green banana flour) + cereal milk anglaise + brûléed red banana halves + housemade granola topper
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffin Pancakes: Peanut butter (peanut butter powder, peanut butter chips) buttermilk pancakes + chunky bananas Foster sauce + streusel topper
- King Kong Pancakes: Chocolate pancakes (dark cocoa powder, mini chocolate chips) + whipped banana cream cheese + sliced fresh red banana + coconut shavings + dark chocolate shavings
GET THE RECIPE FOR
Banana Bacon French Toast
From the July/August 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.