Braised Smokey Bacony Garlic Short Rib Slamwich
Recipe courtesy of Chef Matt Burton
Sponsor: King’s Hawaiian
- 1 c bacon jam (homemade or bought)
- 10 roasted garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 c vegetable oil
- 1 c sliced red onion
- ½ c milk
- ½ c cornstarch
- 2 ¼ lbs cooked red wine–braised short rib meat
- 12 King’s Hawaiian® 4-inch Little Island Burger Buns
- 1 ½ pounds shredded smoked Swiss cheese
- In a small sauce pot over low heat, melt the bacon jam.
- Stir in the roasted garlic and let sit for 5 minutes, then hold warm.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat to 325 degrees F.
- Place onions in the milk, and coat well. Drain.
- Toss onions in the cornstarch and dust off. Using a spoon, add coated onions to hot oil. Stir using a spider and cook until brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Hold for service.
- For each serving: Microwave 3 ounces of shredded short rib with braising liquid until hot.
- Toast a King’s Hawaiian roll on both sides.
- Spread 1 ounce of bacon-garlic jam on the top half of roll.
- On bottom half, evenly spread 1 ounce of shredded cheese, then top with hot short rib meat.
- Sprinkle the short rib with 1 ounce more cheese and top with some crispy onions.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of braising liquid over all the onions and meat.
- Place bun top on sandwich and use a toothpick to hold in place.
- Microwave the sandwich for 15 seconds to melt cheese and meld flavors. Serve.
Serve with chips or fried plantains.
From the Best of Flavor 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.