Butternut Squash Dumplings, Truffled Pho Broth
Recipe courtesy of Chandon Clenard
Sponsor: Custom Culinary
Serving size: 24
Butternut Squash Dumplings:
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 10 turns fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp plus 3 oz unsalted butter
- 2 oz shallots, rough chopped
- 2 ½ oz heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp white truffle oil
- 2 ½ oz Custom Culinary® Beef Pho Broth
- Wonton skins, as needed
- Rice flour or cornstarch, as needed
Truffled Pho Broth (per serving):
- 1 c Custom Culinary® Beef Pho Broth
- 2 Tbsp thin bias-cut green onions
- 2 Tbsp torn basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp cilantro sprigs
- 3 to 5 slices Fresno or jalapeño peppers
- ½ tsp white truffle oil
For the Butternut Squash Dumplings:
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- Toss squash in oil, salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish covered with foil. Roast 35 to 40 minutes, until soft.
- In a sauté pan, melt 1 Tbsp butter. Add shallots and lightly caramelize them.
- Heat cream and remaining 3 oz butter together. Reserve.
- Purée cooked squash and shallots with butter/cream mixture in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and truffle oil. Add a little Beef Pho Broth if needed to loosen filling.
- Transfer to a sheet pan. Allow to cool to below 41°F.
- For each wonton skin, add 1 tsp filling in the center. Lightly brush the edges with water; fold over diagonally and press edges to seal.
- Place on a lined sheet tray lightly dusted with rice flour or cornstarch.
For Truffled Pho Broth (per serving):
- In a small pot bring Beef Pho Broth to a boil.
- In a saucepan with boiling water, add 5 dumplings and cook for about 1 minute. The dumplings will float to the surface when done.
- In a bowl, add hot pho broth, place dumplings on top, and garnish with the onions, herbs, chiles and a drizzle of truffle oil.