Taco Fiesta Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
Recipe courtesy of Chef Chandon Clenard
Sponsor: Bush’s Best
Cilantro Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ½ cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds (green variety)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
Black Bean Breakfast Bowl:
- 2 ea large red sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2-in pieces
- As needed olive oil
- To taste salt and pepper
- 2 ea red bell pepper, sliced into ¼-in strips
- 1 ea white onion, sliced into ¼-in strips
- 1 (16-oz) can Bush’s Taco Fiesta Black Beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 4 ea large eggs
- 1 ea avocado, diced into large cubes
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- For the cilantro pumpkin seed pesto: wash, dry, and rough chop the cilantro leaves and stems. Combine all ingredients in a container and blend with an immersion blender until well incorporated and fairly smooth. You can also pulse in a blender.
- For the Black Bean Breakfast Bowl: heat the oven with 2 sheet pans inside to 425 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on one of the hot pans in a thin layer. Roast for 18 to 20 minutes, until lightly caramelized and tender. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, toss the red peppers and onions with 2 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly and in a thin layer on the remaining preheated sheet pan. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly caramelized and tender.
- At service, warm the Taco Fiesta Black Beans with some of the liquid from the can. Rewarm the vegetables if necessary.
- Cook an egg to your liking. On a plate, place mounds of roasted vegetables, avocado, and Taco Fiesta Black Beans around in a circle, top with the egg, garnish with cilantro pesto and cheese, and serve.
The sweet potatoes and charred vegetables can be cooked ahead of time and reheated before serving.