Mac and Cheese with Turmeric and Roasted Cauliflower
Recipe courtesy of Chef Chandon Clenard
- To taste salt and pepper
- 2 ea large heads cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Barilla Elbows Pasta
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ea white onion, diced
- 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup grain mustard
- 1 ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp turmeric (for pasta water)
- Bring 4 qt water to a boil, add ½ tsp turmeric and season to taste with salt.
- Heat a sheet pan in a 425 degree F oven. Toss the cauliflower florets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the sheet pan and roast for 15 minutes, until tender and the tips are charred. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta for 7 minutes; drain well.
- In a large sauté pan, add the butter, onions, cumin seeds, and curry powder and sauté until slightly golden. Add the cream and mustard and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat, stir in the cheddar, and toss with the pasta and roasted cauliflower until coated.
- Divide between 8 individual bowls or serve family-style in a large bowl; top with the toasted breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and chopped parsley.