Bubble Waffle California Caprese
Recipe courtesy of Jessica Foust
Sponsor: California Milk Advisory Board
Basil Bubble Waffle:
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ oz fresh basil
- 4 eggs
- ½ c sugar
- 1 1/3 c buttermilk
- 1 1/3 c water
- ½ c butter, melted
- As needed vegetable oil spray
- 10 oz fresh mozzarella, pearls or ½-in cubes
- 4 c diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp grated fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chiffonade fresh basil
- Salt, as needed
- 5 c scrambled eggs
- 2 ½ c fried shallots
For the Basil Bubble Waffle:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cornstarch, whisk to evenly combine.
- In a blender pitcher, combine salt, pepper, basil, eggs, sugar, buttermilk and water and blend until basil pieces are the size of finely ground pepper.
- With the blender running, drizzle in the melted butter until combined.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl with flour and whisk to combine.
- Preheat bubble waffle iron and spray with olive oil or other neutral oil spray.
- Portion 1/4 c of the batter into the waffle iron, filling as many of the waffle cavities as possible.
- Place 1 pearl (or dice) of mozzarella in each bubble cavity and top with another 1/4 c of the batter.
- Close waffle iron and cook until evenly golden brown on both sides.
For the Marinated Tomatoes:
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oil, basil and salt to taste. Cover and marinate for before service.
- On a serving plate, place the prepared Basil Bubble Waffle and top with 1/2 c freshly scrambled eggs, 1/4 c Marinated Tomatoes. and 1/4 c fried shallots.
- Serve immediately.
This bubble waffle can be enjoyed with a knife-and-fork or folded into a taco or cone for a handheld breakfast on the go.