Ancho Roasted Mushroom Toast
Recipe courtesy of Jessica Foust
Sponsor: Custom Culinary
Ancho & Charred Scallion Schmear:
- 2 c cream cheese
- 1 c chopped grilled scallions, lightly charred edges
- 2 Tbsp Custom Culinary® Master’s Touch® Ancho Flavor Concentrate
- ½ tsp salt
Ancho Roasted Mushrooms:
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Custom Culinary® Master’s Touch® Ancho Flavor Concentrate
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ c roasted garlic oil
- 1 ½ lbs portobello mushrooms
Citrus Arugula Salad:
- 2 c arugula
- ½ c cara cara orange supremes with juice
- 2 Tbsp hot honey
- Salt, as needed
- 10 sourdough bread slices
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ c hot honey
For the Ancho & Charred Scallion Schmear:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, scallions, ancho paste and salt. Mix to thoroughly combine. Chill and reserve.
For the Ancho Roasted Mushrooms:
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, pepper, ancho paste, paprika, tomato paste, mustard, soy sauce, sugar, water and roasted garlic oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Coat the mushrooms on all sides with the prepared mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to prepare the toast, heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat and sear each side of the marinated mushrooms, using a grill weight to ensure even contact with the pan. Cook until the mushrooms have reduced in size by roughly one quarter and remove from the pan. Thinly slice and reserve.
For the Citrus Arugula Salad:
- In a small bowl, combine arugula, orange supremes, hot honey and salt to taste. Reserve.
For the Toast:
- Brush each slice of sourdough bread with olive oil on both sides and grill to toast and lightly char. Transfer to cutting board.
- On each slice of grilled bread, spread 2 to 4 tbsp of prepared Ancho & Charred Scallion Schmear.
- Top with Ancho Roasted Mushroom slices, prepared Citrus Arugula Salad and drizzle generously with hot honey.