Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Recipe courtesy of David Cox
Sponsor: Bush’s Best
Servings: 12 (2-3 cakes per serving)
Roasted Corn Salsa (12 servings):
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked
- ¾ c diced roasted red bell pepper
- 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped serrano chiles
- 3 Tbsp yellow onion, ½-inch dice
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- ¾ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Chipotle Sauce (12 servings):
- 2 c mayonnaise
- 6 Tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3 fl oz fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
Spicy Black Bean Cakes (makes 30):
- 1 (#10) can Bush’s Best® Sidekicks™ Taco Fiesta™ Black Beans or regular black beans, drained
- ¾ c ¼-inch dice yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ c finely chopped serrano chiles
- 3 Tbsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ c chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 1 ¾ c panko breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil for frying, as needed
- Panko breadcrumbs for dredging, as needed
Roasted Corn Salsa:
- Grill corn on all sides, cover, let steam and cool.
- Cut corn off cobs. Mix all ingredients, adding half the serrano to start. Taste and add remaining if more heat is desired.
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate for service.
Spicy Black Bean Cakes:
- Mash black beans in a large mixing bowl with a potato masher until they form a paste.
- Add the onion, garlic, chile, cumin, coriander, cilantro, pepper, salt, eggs, panko and mix well.
- Use a #16 scoop to portion 2-oz balls. Form cakes approximately 3 inches in diameter. Cover and refrigerate until service or use immediately.
- Dredge cakes lightly in panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat a sauté pan with a ¼ inch of oil. Pan fry the cakes in batches over medium-low heat. Cook on both sides to form a nice crust and cook through.
- Remove from pan and plate two or three cakes. Garnish with corn salsa and a dollop of chipotle sauce.
Project Management: Summit F&B
Photography: Carlos Garcia // Food Styling: Peg Blackley & Bree Williams
From the 2023 Top 10 Trends issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.