Ground Pork Banh Mi Sliders
Recipe courtesy of David Cox
Sponsor: King’s Hawaiian
Banh Mi Patties: (yield 60)
- 7 ½ lbs pork butt
- 1 ½ c basil chiffonade
- ¼ c chopped garlic
- 1 c thinly sliced green onion
- ¼ c fish sauce
- 5 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground black pepper
Sriracha Mayonnaise: (Yield 37 fl oz)
- 1 qt mayonnaise
- ½ c Sriracha sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Pickled Veggies: (Yield 2 pounds)
- 1 lb daikon, peeled and julienned
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and julienned
- ½ c sugar
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- ½ c seasoned rice wine vinegar
Banh Mi Sliders: (per serving)
- 3 Banh Mi Patties
- 3 King’s Hawaiian® Original Hawaiian Sweet Slider Buns
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 3 slices English cucumber, ¼ inch thick
- 3 slices fresh jalapeño, thinly sliced rings
- 1 oz Pickled Veggies
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro
For the Banh Mi Patties:
- Chill the grinder attachment. Cut pork into cubes and place in the freezer to get a hard chill. Grind twice through a 3/8-inch plate.
- Add all other ingredients to the pork and mix well until evenly incorporated.
- Make 2-ounce patties and refrigerate for service.
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until fully incorporated.
- Place in squeeze bottles and refrigerate for service.
For the Pickled Veggies:
- Put carrots and daikon in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and sugar.
- Add the vinegar and mix until salt and sugar are totally dissolved.
- Let sit 1 hour, mixing every 20 minutes. Keep refrigerated until service.
For each order:
- Grill the Banh Mi Patties until cooked through, about 1 ½ minutes on each side.
- Toast slider buns on grill cut-side down.
- Squeeze about ½ Tbsp Sriracha mayonnaise on both top and bottom buns (1 Tbsp per bun).
- Place a cucumber slice on each bottom bun and top with a pork patty, jalapeño slice, some pickled veggies, and a cilantro sprig.
- Place on top buns and arrange sliders on a plate (a sandwich pick is useful to hold together).
- Garnish with more pickled veggies, jalapeño and cilantro.
From the Best of Flavor 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.