Plant-Based “Wafu-Style” Bolognese with Kikkoman®
Recipe courtesy of Dawn McClung
Servings: 20 to 25
- ½ c canola oil
- 2 ½ lbs white onion, small dice
- 1 ½ lbs celery, small dice
- 1 ½ lbs carrots, freshly shredded
- 1 ½ lbs white mushrooms, small dice
- 5 oz garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ c Kikkoman® Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp granulated beet sugar
- 3 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 15 lbs crushed tomatoes
- 1 2/3 c quinoa
- 2 ½ c Kikkoman® Pearl Organic Soymilk Original
- Place a 20-qt sauce pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add oil to pan and allow to warm for a few minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Sauté until onions become translucent and browning has begun, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic into pot and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until garlic begins to brown.
- Pour in soy sauce to deglaze pan.
- Add sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, salt, tomatoes and quinoa, stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, until quinoa has become tender.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed, then add soymilk. Heat an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.
If you would like it to be slightly heartier, add 1 cup of Kikkoman® Panko Bread Crumbs when you add the milk. Trust me—it’s tasty.
Project Management: Summit F&B
Photography: Carlos Garcia // Food Styling: Peg Blackley & Bree Williams
From the 2023 Top 10 Trends issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.