Mango Sushi Roll
Recipe courtesy of Chef Brandon Cook
Sponsor: National Mango Board
- 1 soy paper wrapper with sesame seeds
- 3 oz sushi rice, cooked and warm (I like Calrose medium grain)
- 1 oz seasoned sushi vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh mango, cut in large julienne (1 cube per piece)
- 1 red jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, cut in small julienne
- 1 Persian cucumber, peeled and cut in small julienne
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha mayo
- 1 Tbsp toasted coconut
- 1 lime
- Place 2 layers of plastic wrap onto a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Place the soy paper wrapper sesame seeds down.
- Mix the cooked rice with the vinegar and spread an even layer over the soy paper wrapper, leaving about 1 ½ inches open on the top of the wrapper.
- Layer the cilantro leaves 1 inch up from the bottom of the wrapper.
- Layer the mango on top of the cilantro leaves.
- Layer the jalapeño on top of the mango.
- Layer the cucumber over the jalapeño.
- Lift the bottom of the wrapper up and over the filling, keeping the ingredients as tight as possible. Continue to roll until only the wrapper without rice is exposed.
- Lightly brush the top edge of the wrapper with a little water and continue to roll until sealed.
- Remove the bamboo roller but not the plastic wrap. Using a sharp, long knife, make cuts about 1 ½ inches wide through the plastic wrap and roll.
- Drizzle the Sriracha mayo onto the serving plate.
- Remove the plastic wrap from each roll and arrange the rolls cut-side up.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the rolls and plate. Microplane lime zest over the rolls.
From the Best of Flavor 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.