Jamaican Curry Goat
Recipe courtesy of Eric Martinez
Sponsor: Aussie Beef & Lamb
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 3 lb fresh Australian goat meat
- 2 Scotch Bonnet peppers
- ½ tsp black pepper or allspice berries
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 small knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 qt vegetable stock
- ¼ c curry powder
- ½ tsp Chef Paul Prudhomme Cajun Seasoning
- In a rondo, heat some oil and brown the goat meat. Remove and set aside.
- Add the Scotch Bonnet peppers, black pepper, onion, scallions, garlic, thyme, ginger, salt, potatoes and carrots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add goat meat back to pot and deglaze with stock. Stir in curry and Cajun seasoning. Simmer on low heat until goat meat is tender and delicious, about 1 hr.
- Place 3oz rice in a bowl and ladle 5 oz of curry. Garnish to your liking.
I marinated the meat in a housemade fish sauce for 12 hours and omitted the salt from the recipe. It really brightens the dish.