Barilla® Oven-Roasted Heirloom Tomato Rigatoni
Recipe courtesy of Eric Martinez
Sponsor: Barilla for Professionals
Servings: 3 8-oz servings
- 2 lbs heirloom vine tomatoes
- Sea salt and black pepper, as needed
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 oz red wine vinegar
- 4 oz baby kale
- 24 oz Barilla Frozen® Rigatoni
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 4 oz ricotta salata cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and put the whole tomatoes on a large baking tray, season with sea salt and black pepper. Scatter over the unpeeled garlic cloves, thyme sprigs and bay leaves, then transfer to the oven and roast for 25 minutes, or until the tomato skins are burnished and split.
- Let the tomatoes cool for a minute or two, then pull them off the vines and place in a frying pan with the red wine vinegar, a pinch more salt and pepper and the baby kale.
- Squeeze the garlic into the pan, discarding the skins. Squash with a spoon and simmer for 15 minutes, or until you have a thick, strawberry-red sauce with an almost creamy consistency. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain, reserving a mugful of starchy cooking water.
- Toss the pasta into the sauce, loosening with a little reserved cooking water, if needed.
- Drizzle over a good lug of extra-virgin olive oil and finely grate over the ricotta.
This dish is meant to be versatile. Although it’s vegetarian, it can be whatever you make of it. Let your imagination run with this dish.