Ghirardelli® Chocolate Bread Pudding with Candied Walnuts
Recipe courtesy of Juan Serrano
- 12 oz heavy cream
- 1 lb Ghirardelli® 52% Chocolate Chips
- 1 lb brioche, cut in ¼-in cubes
- 2 oz sugar
- 2 oz brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 qt half-and-half
- 1 c milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Ghirardelli® Caramel Sauce, as needed
- Vanilla ice cream, as needed
- Mint sprigs for garnish, as needed
- Chopped candied walnuts for garnish, as needed
- Ghirardelli® 52% Chocolate Chips, as needed
- Heat the cream over medium heat and bring it to a low boil.
- Place the Ghirardelli® chips in a large bowl with a towel underneath.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Don’t stir. Cover the bowl with plastic and leave for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and whisk the cream and chocolate together to make a smooth ganache.
- In the ganache bowl, combine the ganache, bread, sugars, spices, salt, eggs, half-and-half, milk and vanilla. Fold together thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours to allow the bread to be well soaked.
- To build the puddings, oil a large sheet pan. Using 3- to 4-in ring molds, press 8 to 10 oz of pudding mixture into each ring. Cover with foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 325°F with #3 fan. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more to crisp the tops.
- Leave the puddings in the molds to cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- To plate, place one pudding in the oven for 8 minutes to warm through.
- Drizzle a plate with Ghirardelli® Caramel Sauce. Slide the warm bread pudding out of the mold and place it on the sauce. Top with a scoop of ice cream and a mint sprig. Scatter candied walnuts around the plate.