Fried Mango Sticky Coconut Rice with Mango Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Dustin Hilinski
Sponsor: National Mango Board
- 1½ c water
- 1 c granulated sugar
- ¼ c fresh lime juice
- 2 c diced ripe fresh mango
- 3 c coconut cream
- ½ c palm sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 c water
- 2 c raw sticky rice
- 2 c medium diced ripe fresh mango
- Rice flour, as needed
For the mango sauce:
- In a medium sauce pot, combine the water, sugar, lime juice and diced mango and simmer until mangos are soft.
- Place in a blender and blend until smooth. Chill and reserve.
For the rice:
- In a medium sauce pot, add 2 cups of the coconut cream, the sugar and salt. Simmer until sugar melts and reserve warm.
- In a large sauce pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the rice in a mixing bowl and pour the warm coconut-sugar mix over it. Allow it to absorb completely and cool.
- Lightly wet gloved hands and portion the rice into 24 equal portions. Flatten each rice portion in gloved hand, place one piece of mango in the middle, wrap rice around it and firmly press into a ball. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Roll each rice ball in rice flour and deep fry until crispy, golden brown and heated through. Lightly drizzle each fried rice ball with some of the remaining coconut cream and serve with the mango dipping sauce.
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.