Miso Orecchiette with Garlicky Asian Vegetables and Furikake
Recipe courtesy of Dustin Hillinski
Sponsor: Barilla America
- 12 oz Barilla® Orecchiette
- Olive oil, as needed
- 2 c heavy cream
- ¾ c white miso paste
- ½ c grated Parmesan
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 qt raw chopped lacinato kale
- 2 c shelled edamame
- 3 c shredded carrots
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Furikake, as needed
For the pasta:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the orecchiette for half the time indicated on the package.
- Drain and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. Spread pasta flat on a sheet tray and cool in a blast chiller or walk-in cooler. Wrap with plastic wrap and reserve.
For the sauce:
- In a medium sauce pot, bring the cream to a slight simmer and whisk in the miso paste. Whisk until combined, smooth and heated. Stir in Parmesan and reserve sauce. Keep warm.
For the vegetables:
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir; cook until fragrant.
- Add the kale and cook down until it is half the volume.
- Add the edamame, carrots and red pepper flakes.
- Continue to cook until edamame and carrots are heated through. Stir in the reserved sauce.
- Reheat the pasta in simmering water. Drain and add to the vegetables and sauce. Stir until combined and everything is lightly coated.
- Portion into 6 bowls and garnish each portion with furikake.
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.