Miso Magic Chocolate Bars
Recipe courtesy of Chef Owen Klein
- 1 c unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 c shiro miso paste
- 1/3 c canned butternut squash purée
- 2 ½ c packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 c Ghirardelli® 52% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 ¾ c all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Nonstick spray, as needed
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ c unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 c confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
For the Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe dish on HIGH, approximately 30 to 45 seconds.
- In a bowl, whisk butter, miso, butternut squash, sugar and eggs until mixed thoroughly.
- Add Ghirardelli® chips, flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt and stir until a batter forms.
- Spray a 13 x 9-in nonstick baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour in batter and smooth to uniform height.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Remove bars, let cool.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While bars are baking, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, confectioners’ sugar and salt with a hand mixer, whipping until fluffy.
- Top fully cooled chocolate bars with icing. Cut and enjoy.
Project Management: Summit F&B
Photography: Carlos Garcia // Food Styling: Peg Blackley