Shawarma Spiced Flank Steak with Crispy Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Chef Molly McGrath
Sponsor: True Aussie Beef & Lamb
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ c extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs Australian flank steak
- 1 ½ lbs oyster mushrooms, torn into 1-inch-thick strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt, as needed
- Mix the cumin, coriander and paprika together. Spread 1 tablespoon of spice mixture and 1 tablespoon of olive oil on either side of the flank steak. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for 4 to 12 hours.
- To cook, mix mushrooms, onions, 6 Tablespoons olive oil and remaining spice mix in a large bowl until mushrooms are well coated. Spread on a sheet tray in a single layer, then season evenly with salt. Broil for 4 to 8 minutes, stirring if necessary, until mushrooms are lightly browned and crispy.
- While mushrooms cook, grill steak on medium heat until desired doneness.
- Thinly slice flank steak and top with mushroom mixture. Serve with warm pitas, labneh, tomatoes and fresh cilantro for guests to make their own shawarma pitas.
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.