Smashed Ranchero Bean & Veggie Torta
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeff Mann
Sponsor: Bush’s Best
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 2 oz fresh minced garlic
- 7 oz chipotle peppers
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
Smashed Ranchero Beans:
- 1 (#10) can Bush’s Texas Ranchero Beans
- 2 lb Poblano peppers, ½-in dice
- 2 lb Spanish onions, ½-in dice
- 1 lb red bell peppers, ½-in dice
- ¼ cup blended oil
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 lb sliced button mushrooms, ½-in dice
- 2 Tbsp Chipotle Butter, melted
Torta (per serving):
- 1 ea Telera roll, halved
- 2 Tbsp Chipotle Butter, softened
- ¼ cup Smashed Ranchero Beans
- ¾ cup Chipotle Spinach and Roasted Veggie filling
- ¼ ea avocado, sliced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves, Fresh
- For the Chipotle Butter: In a medium pot, add the butter and garlic. Place on medium heat and melt them together. Once butter is completely melted and the garlic has bloomed, pour into a blender with the chipotle peppers and salt, puree until smooth. Place Chipotle Butter in a container and refrigerate.
- For the Smashed Ranchero Beans: Drain the beans in a China cap. Place the beans in robot coupe and pulse 2 to 3 times to smash the beans. Reserve smashed beans refrigerated for service.
- For the Roasted Vegetables: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a stainless steel bowl, toss together the poblanos, onions, and bell peppers with the oil and salt. Spread them on a parchment-lined full sheet tray. Place the mushrooms in the same stainless steel bowl. Pour the melted Chipotle Butter over the mushrooms. Spread the mushrooms on a parchment-lined half sheet tray. Roast all the vegetables for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are softened and browned. Cool the vegetables, refrigerate, and reserve for service.
- For the Chipotle Spinach: Place a large sauté pan or rondeau on medium-high heat. Add the Chipotle Butter and oil. Let butter melt, then add the spinach and salt and sauté until spinach has wilted. Spread the spinach on a sheet tray to cool. Once spinach is cool, squeeze any excess moisture from spinach and rough chop it. Mix the chopped spinach, Roasted Vegetables, whole ranchero beans, and cheese. Refrigerate and reserve for service.
- For each Torta: Brush the interior of the sliced roll with 1 Tbsp of the Chipotle Butter and toast it on a flat top for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Spread the Smashed Ranchero Beans on the interior of the bottom and top bun. Place the spinach & veggie filling on top of the smashed beans on the bottom part of the roll, then add the avocado and cilantro. Place the top part of the roll, creating a sandwich. Brush the remaining 1 Tbsp of the Chipotle Butter on the exterior of the top bun. Place the torta in a panini press and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the top part of the roll is toasted and golden brown and the spinach & veggie mixture is hot. Cut torta in half on a slight bias and serve.