Merkts® Craft Beer Cheese Nachos with Steak
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alex Sadowsky
Sponsor: Bel Brands USA
Beer Cheese Sauce
- 4 cups Merkts® Craft Beer Cheese Spread
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 avocados (48 count), pitted and diced ½ in
- 2 cups Pico de Gallo
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 Tbsp ranch seasoning packet (Hidden Valley)
- ¼ cup Dos Equis beer
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Pico de Gallo
- 6 cups Roma tomatoes, diced ¼-in
- 2 cups white onions, diced ¼-in
- 1 cup cilantro chiffonade
- ½ cup jalapeños, fresh, diced ¼-in
- ¼ cup lime juice, fresh
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 lb Roma tomatoes
- 2 lb tomatillos, husk removed
- 2 lb jalapeños, stems removed
- ½ cup chopped garlic
- ½ ea white onion, peeled
- ½ lb Serrano chiles
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup lime juice, fresh
- 4 bunches cilantro
- ½ cup liquid reserved from above
- 8 oz tortilla chips, fresh fried
- 1 cup black beans
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½cup Merkts® Craft Beer Cheese Sauce
- 6 oz diced grilled steak, hot
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup Pico de Gallo
- ¼ cup Beer Crema
- 1 tsp cilantro chiffonade
- ½ cup Avocado Smash
- ½ cup Salsa Verde, warm
- For the Beer Cheese Sauce: Whisk the beer cheese and milk together in a pot. Heat to 150 degrees F and hold hot for service.
- For the Avocado Smash: Place all ingredients in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Using gloved hands, mix and gently smash. Leave chunky. Cover the surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until service.
- For the Beer Crema: Place all the ingredients in a large stainless steel mixing bowl and whisk until mixed thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the Pico de Gallo: Place all the ingredients in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Using gloved hands, mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the Salsa Verde: Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic, onion, and Serranos in a large stock pot and cover with tap water by 1 in. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, until all products are soft to the touch. Strain off the water and reserve ½ cup of liquid. Place the boiled vegetables into a large food container. Add the salt, lime juice, cilantro, and reserved liquid and pole blend or process for approximately 1 minute, or until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the Nachos, per serving: Spread 4 oz of the tortilla chips evenly on a ¼ sheet tray. Top evenly with 1/2 cup of the beans and 4 oz of the cheddar, ensuring every chip has full coverage. Ladle 1/4 cup of the Merkts® Craft Beer Cheese Sauce over the chips, ensuring every chip has equal and full coverage. Place the sheet tray under a salamander or cheese melter at high heat until golden brown and shredded cheddar is thoroughly melted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Spread another 4 oz layer of tortilla chips evenly on top of the melted cheese. Top evenly with another 1/2 cup beans and 4 oz cheddar, ensuring every chip has full coverage. Ladle 1/4 cup of the cheese sauce over the chips, ensuring every chip has equal and full coverage. Place the sheet tray under a salamander or cheese melter again at high heat until golden brown and shredded cheddar is thoroughly melted, approximately 2 minutes.
- After pulling the pan for the second time from the cheese melter, top it evenly with the hot steak, pickled jalapeños, and Pico de Gallo, ensuring every chip has full coverage. Drizzle the Beer Crema in a zig-zag pattern from corner to corner. Evenly sprinkle the cilantro over the nachos (not just in the center).
- Fill a separate small skillet with 1/2 cup Avocado Smash.
- Fill a small soup cup with 1/2 cup warm Salsa Verde. Serve the nachos immediately with the sauces on the side.