Ranchero Baked Bean Pie
Recipe courtesy of Chef Thomas Horner
Sponsor: Bush’s Beans
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb onions, small dice
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 3 oz garlic, minced
- 4 oz scallions, chopped
- 1 c taco seasoning
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 lbs crispy tortilla chips
- 2 lbs shredded cheese blend
- 1 (#10) can Bush’s® Sidekicks™ Taco Fiesta™ Black Beans
- 1 c bread crumbs
- ¼ c cilantro
- 6 whole eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, sauté the onions in the oil. Add the beef and brown gently. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the garlic, scallions, seasoning, tomatoes and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a hotel pan or individual ovenproof dishes, build a base of tortilla chips and layer half the beef mixture and half the cheese. Put on another layer of beef, reserving the remaining cheese for the top.
- Drain the beans and place them in a food processer. Puree while adding the cilantro, bread crumbs and 1 egg at a time until incorporated.
- Place bean mixture in a piping bag and pipe it decoratively on top of the beef and cheese mixture.
- Top with the reserved cheese and bake 35 to 45 minutes, to heat through.
From the July/August 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.