Indonesian Spicy Mango Pork Skewers
Recipe courtesy of Farley Kaiser, Corporate Executive Chef, Wawa
Sponsor: National Mango Board
Yield: 16-20 skewers
- 4 ripe mangos, peeled and cubed ¾ – 1-½ inches
- 4 lbs pork loin, cleaned and cubed ¾ – 1-½ inches
- Indonesian Marinade (recipe follows)
- 3 multi-colored peppers, cleaned and cut about the same dimension as mango and pork
- 2 red onions, cleaned and cut about the same dimension as mango and pork, separated into layers
Per skewer: Pre-heat grill to medium high.
Depending on skewer length, alternate equal amounts of each ingredient, leaving enough room in between for even cooking.
Place skewers on heated grill to achieve grill marks, carefully turning to grill all sides. Cook until pork reaches 145-160°F, 10-15 minutes depending on size of pork cube.
Chef Note: If using wooden bamboo skewers, it is necessary to soak them for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight to help them last longer and not burn while grilling.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tsp coriander, ground
- 2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 3 Tbsp sambal
- 1 cup peanuts, roasted and chopped
Combine ingredients for marinade in a large container and add cubed pork loin. Cover and refrigerate 2-24 hours.