Hillshire Farm® Fully Cooked Split Smoked Sausage Frittata
Recipe courtesy of Daniel Van Etten
Sponsor: Tyson Foodservice
- 3 lbs Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage, 1/3-inch slices
- 2 oz extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb zucchini, ¼-inch slices
- 1 ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 qts whole eggs
- 2/3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 2/3 c shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/3 c shredded sharp cheddar
- Nonstick pan spray, as needed
- 12 grape tomatoes, 1/8-inch slices
- ½ bunch fresh parsley or micro greens
- Julienne ½ pound of the sausage. Sauté it on medium heat until the fat is rendered out and sausage is caramelized. Reserve.
- Sauté the zucchini and remaining sliced sausage with the oil and ½ teaspoon pepper until lightly golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Reserve.
- Whisk together the eggs with salt and remaining pepper. Reserve.
- Mix the cheeses together and divide equally into two separate containers. Coat a 2-inch full-size hotel pan or individual serving dishes with nonstick spray.
- Add half the cheese, sliced sausage and zucchini into the egg mixture. Gently mix everything and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a combi oven at 325 degrees F with 50% moisture for 15 minutes on low fan. Switch to 100% steam for the remaining 10-12 minutes, until frittata is set. If using an internal oven probe, set it to 180 degrees F and cook until temperature is reached.
- Remove from oven and immediately add the remaining mixed cheese on the top of the frittata. The cheese will melt naturally from the heat.
- Garnish with the caramelized julienned smoked sausage, sliced tomatoes and/or parsley.
- 2 ½ pounds of sausage will require a 1/3-inch slice
- ½ pound of sausage will require a 1/8-inch julienne for garnish
This dish can be served as a full hotel pan for buffet or individual as seen in the picture. Individual pastry shells can be used if desired.
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.