Fall Into Honey
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kevin Felice
Sponsor: National Honey Board
- 5 lbs butternut squash, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- As needed, blended oil
- 3 c honey
- As needed, salt and pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 lb sliced prosciutto di Parma
- 4 green apples
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- ½ c truffle peelings (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss the squash slices with blended oil, 1 cup of the honey, salt and pepper. Lay flat on a sheet tray and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Peel the leaves off the Brussels sprouts and place them into a 360-degree fryer for 2 minutes, or until crispy throughout.
- Combine the remaining 2 cups honey, the truffle oil and truffle peelings and mix with a whisk until all is combined.
- Slice the apples 1/8 inch thick in half-moons.
- For each serving, arrange overlapping slices of squash in a circle on a plate. Ruffle prosciutto on top and hold it in place with apple slices. Garnish with fried Brussels sprout leaves and truffle honey.
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.