Chile-Lime Watermelon Salad with Queso Fresco
Recipe courtesy of Chef Amy Smith, Miller’s Ale House
Sponsor: National Watermelon Promotion Board
- 1 ¼ cups lime juice
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and minced
- ¼ to ½ cup sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 6 qt 1 ½-inch dice seedless watermelon
- 12 oz queso fresco, crumbled, divided
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 ½ cups pepitas, roasted and salted, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, scallion whites and jalapeños and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Add the watermelon, scallion greens, half of the queso fresco, half of the cilantro and half of the pepitas, then stir to combine.
- Portion into 12-fl oz glasses and garnish each with some of the remaining queso fresco, cilantro and pepitas.
- Place a fork into fruit for service.
Taste the watermelon as you cut it up. If it’s very sweet, omit the sugar; if it’s less sweet, add the sugar to the dressing. Serve immediately, as the dressing draws the juice out of the watermelon quickly and the salad can lose its fresh crunch.