Burnt Honey Lime Cauliflower Tacos
Recipe courtesy of Chef Dave Woolley
Sponsor: National Honey Board
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced on mandoline
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 3 limes, 1 zested/all juiced
- 2 large cauliflower heads
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large avocados, ripe
- 1 New Mexican green chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons honeycomb, broken into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Cotija cheese
- 18 corn tortillas (5 in)
- 1 pint micro cilantro
- Combine the onion, 3 tablespoons of the honey and the vinegar and season with salt; let sit at least 3 hours. Then add the juice of 2 limes and 4 tablespoons more honey and set aside.
- Clean the cauliflower and break into florets. Add half of the lime-honey liquid from the onions, the smoked paprika, olive oil and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl; mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F with two 14-in cast-iron skillets inside. After they’re fully heated, spread the cauliflower evenly between the two hot pans. Cook for 14 minutes, then spoon the remainder of the lime-honey mixture evenly onto the florets and turn them over. Cook for another 8 to 9 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated and the florets have dark caramelization, nearly charred. Keep warm for serving.
- In a bowl, blend the avocados with the green chile, remaining 1 tablespoon of honey, the juice of 1 lime, the lime zest and salt. Mash well with a fork and set aside.
- Right before serving, in a small bowl, blend the broken honeycomb and the Cotija cheese to make the honey combtija.
- For serving, heat the tortillas, then place them onto taco trays or however you will serve the dish. Spread the burnt honey-lime cauliflower evenly between the 18 tortillas. Spread the honey-pickled red onions evenly between the tacos, then the same for the avocado mash, using about 2 tsp per taco. Spread the honey combtija between the 18 tacos and finally garnish each taco with micro cilantro and serve immediately.
Pour ¾ cup dip into a serving container and serve with vitamin-rich fresh veggies or fruit for optimal immunity support. Also delicious as part of a cheese board with crackers.
In a pinch, you could par cook the cauliflower and use a torch to finish the caramelization/char.