Bacon-Wrapped Scallops & Dates with Fig Cola Jam
Recipe courtesy of Michael Slavin
Sponsor: Tyson Foodservice
Bacon-Wrapped Scallops & Dates:
- 4 slices Wright® Brand Bacon
- 4 10/20 count scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 dry pitted dates
- 8 toothpicks
Fig Cola Jam:
- 1 c fig jam
- ¼ c Coke Classic® Coca Cola
- 1 pod star anise
- 1 bay leaf
For each serving:
- 4 Tbsp Fig Cola Jam
- 1 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 tsp 1/8-inch slices scallion
For the Bacon-Wrapped Scallops & Dates:
- Cut bacon slices in half widthwise and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F high fan oven for 5 minutes to par bake. Remove from oven and cool at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Wrap each scallop and date around its circumference with a piece of par-cooked bacon and hold in place with a toothpick. Hold for service.
For the Fig Cola Jam:
- Place ingredients into a saucepan. Slowly reduce over low heat, allowing sauce to thicken. Remove and refrigerate.
- Place bacon-wrapped scallops and dates on a baking pan. Place in a 375 degree F high fan oven for approximately 7 to 8 minutes, or until bacon is golden brown and crisp.
- Place 4 dollops (1 Tablespoon each) of fig cola jam on a serving plate.
- Place 1 scallop and 1 date, side by side, on top of each fig cola dollop.
- Drizzle a small stripe of balsamic glaze over each scallop and date and garnish each with scallions.
From the 2023 Top 10 Trends issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.