Tomato Bacon Jam Lasagne
Recipe courtesy of Carrie Welt, Senior Manager, Culinary Innovation, Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill and Bar
Sponsor: Barilla America
- 3 lbs bacon, minced or ¼-in sliced
- 4 lbs yellow onion, ¼-in dice
- ½ c minced garlic
- 6 lb 9 oz tomatoes, crushed or diced
- ½ c Dijon mustard
- ¼ c Worcestershire
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 2 c maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ Tbsp ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 qt Tomato-Bacon Jam
- 6 sheets Barilla® Lasagne Chef
- 36 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 lg tomatoes, sliced ¼ in thick
- 2 c panko
- ¼ bunch thyme leaves, fresh
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the Tomato-Bacon Jam:
- In an 8-qt rondeau, render the bacon over medium-low heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and reserve.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mustard, Worcestershire, sugar, maple syrup, red pepper flakes, black pepper and bay leaves, and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the reserved bacon.
- Cool appropriately prior to use in lasagne assembly.
For the Lasagne Assembly:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a full 2-in deep hotel pan and add enough Tomato-Bacon Jam to cover the bottom.
- Place two sheets of lasagne per layer, being sure to leave 1 inch on edges of the pan and another inch in the middle so the lasagne sheets have room to expand while cooking.
- Top the lasagne with one-fourth of sliced tomatoes, leaving ½ in between slices. Cover the tomato slices with more bacon jam, then 12 oz of Cheddar cheese. Add another layer of pasta, tomatoes and cheese and repeat two more times.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 50 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko, olive oil and thyme leaves.
- Once the lasagne is baked, remove foil and liberally coat the top of the lasagne with the herbed panko. Top with remaining tomato slices.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes to brown.
- Rest the lasagne for 30 minutes before cutting into 24 portions.