Smoky Mezcal Watermelon Mojito
Recipe courtesy of Chef Justin Fields
Sponsor: National Watermelon Promotion Board
Watermelon Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup Watermelon purée
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 ea. Mini seedless Watermelon
- As needed Chile spice (Tajín or any other chile spice mixture)
- 1 ea. Lime wedge, halved
- 10 ea. Mint leaves
- ¼ cup Watermelon Simple Syrup
- ¼ cup Watermelon scraps (from cutting garnish)
- As needed Ice
- 1 ½ fl oz White rum
- 1 fl oz Mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Vida
- As needed Soda water
- 1 ea. Mint sprig
- 1 ea. Mini Watermelon wedge
- For the Watermelon Simple Syrup: Place all ingredients in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 6 minutes.
- Strain into container and cool in refrigerator.
- For the Watermelon Garnish: Cut a ½-in-thick slice from the center of the watermelon.
- Cut a wedge out of the round, approximately ¼ of the round. Push one cut side of watermelon wedge into the chile spice to coat.
- Keep refrigerated.
- For the Cocktail: In a tall glass, add the lime wedges, mint leaves, Watermelon Simple Syrup and watermelon scraps.
- Muddle the glass contents until thoroughly mashed, approximately 1 minute.
- Add ice to the top of the glass. Pour the rum and mezcal over the ice. Top off with soda water and stir.
- Garnish with the mint sprig, watermelon wedge garnish, and a straw.
This can be made in a large batch form for multiple servings.