Warm German Idaho® Potato Salad with Smoked Brisket
Recipe courtesy of Paul Muller, VP Culinary Operations, Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar
Sponsor: Idaho® Potato Commission
- 16 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup small-dice onions
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 288 small Idaho® gold potatoes
- 6 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 96 cloves garlic, smashed
- 24 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 pounds smoked brisket, sliced and warmed
- 3 cups caramelized onions, warm
- 3 cups horseradish cream sauce
- As needed freshly minced chives or mixed green herbs
- For the Bacon Vinaigrette: Render the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving ¼ cup bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onions to the fat and cook until softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together. Bring to a simmer and reserve.
- For the Golden Potatoes: For each serving, combine 12 potatoes, ¼ cup oil, 4 cloves garlic and 1 sprig rosemary in a vacuum bag and seal. Cook in a water bath with a circulator at 194°F for 1 hour. Remove and use immediately or shock the bags in ice water and refrigerate.
- For each serving: Cut one bag of hot golden potatoes into ½-inch pieces and plate. Add 4 ounces warm brisket, 2 tablespoons warm onions, 2 ounces vinaigrette, and 1 ounce horseradish sauce. Garnish with chives or herbs.