Open-Faced Beer & Cola Braised Aussie Beef Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeffrey Hanak, VP of Culinary, Chili’s
Sponsor: True Aussie Beef & Lamb
YIELD: 15 Servings
PORTION SIZE: 5 oz. beef, plus garnishes
PREP TIME: 4 hours
Braised Aussie beef:
- 5 pounds Australian grass-fed beef chuck roast, cut into large pieces
- 1 bottle (12 fl. oz) porter-style beer
- 1 bottle (12 fl. oz) cola
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ Tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ Tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds leeks
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 fl. oz. Pernod
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 each red peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 each garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 Tablespoon red chili, deseeded and chopped
- ½ cup Italian parsley, rough chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, rough chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh mint, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 cups canola oil, for frying
- 2 each avocados, ripe yet firm
- 1 cup, plus ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 fl. oz.) pale ale style beer
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, plus additional salt for seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 slice sourdough bread, grilled
- 5 ounces braised Aussie beef
- 3 ounces creamed leeks, warmed
- 3 pieces crispy fried avocado
- 2 fl. oz red chimichurri
- 1 ½ ounce crumbled Laura Chenel goat cheese
- Fresh chives, chopped, as desired
- In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients and then generously coat the beef. Place in an oven safe dish, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, remove from fridge and pour beer and coke into the dish and cover with a lid or tightly with foil. Place in a 300F degree oven for 3 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender (internal temperature of 190-197F).
- Carefully remove the pieces of meat, place in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. In a large sauce pot over HIGH heat, reduce the remaining braising liquid by half while skimming off all the fat that rises to the top.
- Shred the beef, cover with the reduced braising liquid and place back in fridge to cool.
To serve (per sandwich)
- Brush both sides of bread with oil and set grill marks on both sides.
- Quickly sear the braised beef, warm the creamed leeks and fry the avocado.
Place warm grilled bread on plate top with creamed leeks and spread to the edges and top with the braised beef.
- Arrange avocado on top, drizzle with chimichurri then garnish with goat cheese and chives.