California Walnut Chile en Nogada
Recipe courtesy of Jamie Carawan, Inspire Brands
Sponsor: California Walnuts
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Serving size: 1 pepper with 2 tablespoons sauce
Course: Main dish
8 large fresh poblano peppers
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, soaked overnight in water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced gala apple
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
Walnut Cream Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups California walnuts, soaked overnight in water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Grill or broil peppers until skins are blackened; place in a paper bag and let stand for 10 minutes. Carefully remove skins, then make a small slit and carefully remove seeds.
- To prepare filling, drain walnuts well and pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple, onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add chopped walnuts and ground beef and cook until beef is browned.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and cook for 5 minutes for flavors to blend; let cool slightly.
- To prepare sauce, place drained walnuts, sour cream, cream cheese, honey and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides several times. Add milk and process until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place equal amounts of filling in each pepper and place on baking sheet.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Warm sauce in a small pot and serve 2 tablespoons over each pepper.
Total Fat: 34g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Monounsaturated Fat: 8.151g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 14.5g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Vitamin D: 0mcg (0%)
Calcium: 120mg (8%)
Iron: 2mg (15%)
Potassium: 550mg (10 s%)