California Cheese Khachapuri
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael Israel, The Cheesecake Factory
Sponsor: California Milk Advisory Board
Makes 6 khachapuri
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ ounce active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 18 ounces Real California TomaProvence cheese, rind removed and grated
- 18 ounces Real California Toma cheese, rind removed and grated
- 6 eggs
- Chopped chives, as needed
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- To prepare the Khachapuri Dough, combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar, 2 cups warm water and olive oil in large food processor. Pulse until the dough forms a ball.
- With motor running, process dough while drizzling in 6 tablespoons warm water, for 1 minute. The dough should be very loose and sticky.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled in volume.
- Place bowl in refrigerator and let rest for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Scrape dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a rectangular shape then cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Gently tuck the corners of each piece of dough underneath to form a ball with a smooth top.
- Place on a lightly floured sheet tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes or up to 3 hours.
To prepare the Cheese Filling
Combine the California Toma Provence and Toma cheeses and press to form 6 equal balls.
- When ready to assemble Khachapuri, preheat pizza oven to 550°F and place pizza stone or upside-down sheet pan in bottom third of oven.
- On a floured surface, press one ball of Khachapuri Dough into an oval 9 inches long and 7 inches wide.
- Press one cheese ball into the center of the dough and slightly flatten.
- Fold the dough up and around the cheese and twist the ends to make a boat shape.
- Using a pizza peel or large floured spatula, place into the heated oven.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the crust in light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the Khachapuri is baking, crack one egg into a small dish.
- Remove Khachapuri from oven and make a shallow well in the center of the cheese.
- Place the egg into the well and return to the oven. Continue to bake until the egg is set, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the crust with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the chives over the cheese and egg.
Khachapuri is meant to be eaten as a bread and dip, where the edges of the dough are torn and dipped into the yolk and cheese fondue that forms as it bakes.