California Avocado & Miso Ginger Soba Noodles
Recipe courtesy of Keith Brunell, Corporate Chef, Nordstrom Restaurants
Sponsor: California Avocado Commission
- 24 oz. Quick Pickled Cucumbers & Celery (recipe follows)
- Miso Ginger Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 5 lbs. Marinated Soba Noodles (recipe follows)
- 4 oz. arugula
- 10 Fresh California Avocados, each cut into 6 wedges, lengthwise
- 6 oz. watermelon radish, peeled, sliced 1/12″
- ¼ cup furikake
Quick Pickled Cucumbers & Celery
(Yield: 24 oz.)
- 16 oz. Japanese cucumbers, sliced 1/8″
- 8 oz. celery, sliced 1/8″
- 4 oz. rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric, freshly grated
Miso Ginger Vinaigrette
(Yield: 24 oz.)
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. miso, white
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 8 oz. canola oil
- 4 oz. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper, ground
Marinated Soba Noodles
(Yield: 4 lbs.)
- 2 lbs. soba noodles, cooked, cooled
- 8 quarts water, boiling
- 3 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 18 oz. Miso Orange Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Quick Pickled Cucumbers & Celery:
- In a non-reactive medium bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, turmeric, salt. (NOTE: ½ tsp. dried turmeric bloomed by heating with 1 oz. rice wine vinegar can be substituted for fresh.)
- Add the cucumbers and celery, mix to combine all ingredients and allow to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Pickled vegetables can be made up to 2 days in advance of use. Store in refrigerator.
Miso Ginger Vinaigrette:
- In a food processor, place the rice wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, white miso, minced garlic, minced ginger and kosher salt and blend on medium speed for 25-30 seconds until ingredients are smooth.
- Increase speed to medium/high speed and begin to add both oils until emulsified and a nice velvety viscosity is achieved.
- Decrease speed to low and add the orange zest and ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Reserve.
- Bring water, with 3 Tbsp. salt, to boil on high heat.
- Add soba noodles and cook according to “completely cooked” stage. Immediately drain noodles, then rinse with cold water until cool to the touch. Drain completely, and pat noodles dry with a few paper towels.
- Place soba noodles in 2″ full size hotel pan, in an even layer, then add 2 ¼ -2 ½ cups Miso Orange Vinaigrette and salt. Gently massage to ensure all noodles are marinated evenly, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Noodles may be used immediately or be held for 1-2 days under refrigeration.
- Place chilled noodles in the bottom of a service pan or evenly distribute in serving dishes.
- Evenly distribute the arugula and drained Quick Pickled Cucumbers & Celery evenly over the top of all the noodles.
- Place the sliced avocado wedges on top of the ingredients.
- Place watermelon radishes between the avocado wedges and evenly dust the top of the entire dish with furikake.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.