Billowy Idaho® Potato dumplings, boiled to al dente texture and topped with a tender green pea tendril purée for a delicious change of pace from pasta
- 4 lb Idaho® Russet Potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Semolina Flour
Pea Tendril and Spinach Puree
- 12 oz Fresh Pea Tendrils
- 6 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Sauce per serving
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup Pea Tendril and Spinach Puree
- 1 cup Snap Peas, trimmed
- 1/2 cup Fresh Green Peas, shelled
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Prick each potato and bake on oven rack at 400°F until soft, 45-60 minutes. Remove skins while warm.
- Push warm potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, yolks and oil. Pour over potatoes and mix in while gradually adding 2 cups flour, forming a soft dough. Do not over-work.
- Test-cook a few gnocchi in boiling salted water. Cook until they rise to the surface (3-4 minutes).
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Keep covered while rolling gnocchi.
- Working on a flour-dusted surface, roll one piece of dough into a 1/2-inch diameter rope. Using a floured bench scraper, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Place rolled gnocchi on semolina flour dusted sheet pan while preparing remaining gnocchi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Drop gnocchi in by batch and cook as directed above. Remove from water with a slotted spoon. Serve immediately.
Pea Tendril Puree
- Blanch pea tendrils and spinach in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to ice water bath. Drain well when cool.
- Blend with oil and salt until smooth.
Per serving, à la minute
- Melt butter in skillet, sauté garlic and shallot.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in 1/4 cup Pea Tendril Puree, peas and snap peas. Cook until peas are tender crisp.
- Spoon sauce over gnocchi. Garnish with parmesan, fresh black pepper and olive oil.
For more Idaho Potato recipe inspirations: idahopotato.com/fspro