Idaho® Potato Braised Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeff Mann
Sponsor: Idaho® Potato Commission
Serves: about 16
Braised Lentil and Vegetable Stew: (Yield 1 gal)
- ½ lb Butter
- 1 lb Spanish onions, ¼-in dice
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 lb Carrots, ¼-in dice
- ½ lb Celery, ¼-in dice
- 2 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 tsp Chile powder
- 1 cup Bourbon, your choice
- 2 qt Water
- 2 cups Green lentils du Puy
- 1 ea Bay leaf
- ½ lb Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, ½-in dice
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- ½ lb Peas, frozen
- 2 cups Heavy cream
Burbank Russet Mashed Potatoes: (Yield 5 qt)
- 5 lb Idaho® Burbank Russet potatoes, peeled
- ¼ cup Kosher salt
- 1 lb Butter
- 2 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 1 ½ Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
Shepherd’s Pie Assembly:
- 1 cup Braised Lentil and Vegetable Stew
- ½ cup Burbank Russet Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Egg wash
- 1 Tbsp Grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Italian parsley
- For the Braised Lentil and Vegetable Stew: In an 8-qt stock pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Once butter melts and starts to brown, add the onions and salt, stir well, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and just starting to caramelize.
- Add the mustard powder and chile powder and stir to incorporate. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the bourbon, water, and lentils and bring to a low simmer. Add the bay leaf, portobello mushrooms, and season with black pepper; stir to incorporate. Continue to cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, stirring often, until the lentils are soft and the liquid has slightly thickened.
- Add the peas and cream, bring back to a simmer, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, then cool.
- For the Burbank Russet Mashed Potatoes: Place the peeled potatoes in an 8-qt pot and cover with enough water to cover by a few inches. Add ¼ cup of the salt to the water as well. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a slow steady simmer. Simmer the potatoes for 25 to 35 minutes, or until fully tender. Drain the potatoes and allow the steam to escape the potatoes for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the cream and butter in a 4-qt pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place the potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the whip attachment, break up potatoes, then add the heated cream/butter mixture slowly to incorporate. Depending on the size of the potatoes, you may not use all of the cream/butter mixture; add just enough to make a good texture. Season with the 1 ½ Tbsp salt and pepper. Do not overmix, as you want the mashed potatoes light and fluffy. Reserve for final dish.
- For the Assembly, per serving: Place the Lentil and Vegetable Stew in a 16-oz mini cast-iron pan or other ovenproof vessel. Using a piping bag with a star tip, spiral the whipped mashed potatoes into an even layer on top of the lentil and vegetable stew. Lightly egg wash the whipped mashed potatoes with a clean pastry bush. Evenly spread the cheddar cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- At service, place a shepherd’s pie in a 500 degree F oven for 8 to 12 minutes, until golden brown and it has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Place on a lined round plate and garnish with the parsley.
The stew and the pie assembly can be done a day in advance and the pies can be held covered in the cooler.