This sweet potato pie is made with your favorite bourbon and topped with a ginger-infused whipped cream and toasted pecans.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons best quality bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon find-ground sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 10-inch pre-made graham cracker pie crust
- Ginger Whipped Cream recipe follows
- Toasted pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425⁰F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. With a fork, prick the sweet potatoes all over about six times. Set sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Roast until soft and you can see bits of sugar bubbling where you pricked the potato, about 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to 375⁰F.
- Cool, peel and measure out 2 generous cups of cooked sweet potato.
- Remove flesh to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “s” blade; puree until smooth.
- While the motor is running, add the butter to soften the sweet potatoes.
- Add the eggs. You will notice that the sweet potatoes will start to take on a lighter, almost peachy color.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream, bourbon and vanilla extract.
- Add the liquids as the machine is running. The mixture will look light and fluffy at this point.
- Scrape the sides and add the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and cloves. Puree to combine.
- The sugar and spices will darken the color a bit but the texture will remain very fluffy.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared crust and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until filling is set, about 40 minutes.
- To test, shake the pie; the center of the pie should jiggle slightly. If you aren’t sure, stick a toothpick or a butter knife in the center; if it comes out clean, the pie is done.
- Let cool and then chill thoroughly before serving.
- Serve with Ginger Whipped Cream and toasted pecans.
Ginger Whipped Cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Using an electric mixer or a whisk, whip until cream is thick and stiff.
Recipe by Elizabeth Karmel for North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission