By Gail Cunningham
Sorghum — in all of its glorious forms — is finally going national, catching on because of its provenance, versatility and glowing health halo. Here are five ways to feature it on your menu.
- Top curried red lentil soup with sorghum popcorn seasoned with a shake of vibrant curry powder and fresh cilantro.
- Leverage the regional appeal of Southern cuisine with a sweet potato biscuit sandwich layered with sorghum-glazed ham, a fried egg and white cheddar cheese.
- Menu whole-grain sorghum risotto with roasted butternut squash and Parmesan cheese.
- Feature heirloom sorghum griddle cakes with sorghum molasses butter on a brunch menu.
- Serve cast-iron-charred pork chops with a smoked bourbon-sorghum glaze and pickled vegetable slaw.