By Charlie Baggs
January 14, 2022
Today’s consumers are looking for convenient food options that are packed with flavor. Hand pies deliver a diversity in fillings and pastry doughs that offer an easy and affordable way for them to experience trending cultural cuisines.
Elevate the experience by answering the desire for personalization. A choose-your-style mini-pie promotion could be interesting. Provide a selection of components and apply a speed-scratch prep approach that projects likely best sellers. Identify curated “chef’s favorites” combinations to help guide decisions.
Here’s a round-up of ingredients with great potential for this concept:
- Doughs: whole wheat, masa or yam flour
- Meats: chicken tinga, picadillo, chorizo, plant-based sausage
- Sauces: Parmesan béchamel, arrabiata, chicken velouté, truffle demi-glace
- Starches: yuca, russet potato, sweet potato, hummus
- Garnishes: poblano chiles, picadillo, olive tapenade, roasted bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes
- Cheeses: barrel-aged feta, smoked provolone, sharp cheddar, blue cheese, pecorino and Parmesan
From the September/October 2022 issue of Flavor & The Menu, for chefs and menu developers. Read full issue online.