Enjoyed for centuries in Europe as a cordial, this syrup is finding more footing in the beverage landscape here. Certainly, the prevalence of St-Germain, a liqueur flavored with elderflower, has helped make this flavor more familiar. Refreshing, summery and delicately sweet, it’s finding a home both in nonalcoholic spritzes and boozy cocktails. Jamie Oliver, for instance, touts an elderflower lemonade with berries through his social-media channels.
- Crimson Crush: Belvedere grapefruit, St-Germain, grapefruit juice, topped with Sprite
—Le Colonial, Houston
- Keenan 76: Wild elderflower, grapefruit, sparkling wine
—Bluegold, Huntington Beach, Calif.
Ginger is one of those ingredients that offers a three-pronged hook, boasting a health halo, freshness cues and vibrant flavor. Nonalcoholic beverage development sees a lot of innovation that embraces ginger. For example, First Watch is launching an LTO featuring a Carrot Ginger Chai Juice in all 220 locations. Ginger is also showing up in unexpected cocktail profiles, like a Ginger Rita, for example, made with ginger-root simple syrup, Grand Marnier and tequila.
- Ginger Snap: Hilhaven Lodge whiskey, ginger juice, honey syrup, Peychaud’s bitters, fresh lemon juice and loose mint
—Roku, West Hollywood, Calif.
- Red-Headed Oaxacan: Tequila, mezcal, honey-ginger syrup, lemon juice, spritz of 12-year Scotch, rimmed with Himalayan sea salt
—Jettison, Austin, Texas
- Ginger + Lime Turmeric Tonic
—Cava, multiple locations
Craft ciders have gained market share over the last few years, adding their cool narrative to bar menus. Bolstered by a hip vibe and a pleasing tart flavor, drink developers are looking to ciders for added character and intrigue in their cocktails.
- The Jack of Hearts: Calvados, fresh lime juice and grenadine, shaken and topped with Julian Hard Cider
—Polite Provisions, San Diego
- The Smoky Rose: Virtue Cider Michigan Brut, Genepy Alpine Herb liqueur, Magellan gin, Aleatico Italian dessert wine, Ancho Reyes ancho chile liqueur, lemon juice, alder-smoked sea salt on the rim
—Borrowed Time: A Gathering Place, Saugatuck, Mich.